(The tick in the image is an American Dog Tick.)
Lyme disease can be very dangerous if you don’t get treatment in time. Below is a list of facts about Lyme disease that everyone should know.
- Only Deer Ticks carry Lyme disease, but not all Deer Ticks have it. (Other ticks can still make you sick so you should watch for any symptoms if you have been bitten.)
- About 90% of ticks that have Lyme disease are in the Northeast, so you should be extra careful in that area.
- Ticks usually need to be attached for at least 24 hours before they can transmit Lyme disease, but there are some cases where it has been transmitted in less than 10 hours.
- Doctors will usually tell you to watch out for a red ring (often called a bulls-eye) that can appear around the area where the tick had bitten you. It can take up to 30 days for the ring to appear. If you notice a red ring then you probably have Lyme disease, but even if you don’t see it, you could still get Lyme disease.
- Lyme disease is curable, but the longer you wait, the longer it will take to get rid of it. Here is a link where you can learn about Lyme disease treatment- https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/treatment/index.html
- People will tell you all kinds of different ways you can remove a tick, but a lot of those ways can cause the ticks to inject you with bacteria. If you talk to a doctor they will tell you the proper way is to use tweezers or a special tick removing tool. When using either one of these you want to get as close to the head of the tick as possible to make sure you get the whole tick, and to make sure you don’t squeeze any of the tick’s fluids into yourself. If you would like to buy a special tick removing tool, just click on the image below.
- There are a lot of steps you can take to help prevent a tick bite. You should always check yourself and your clothes after you’ve been in an area where there may have been ticks. Using bug sprays with a higher percentage of Deet is recommended. You can also use products like Ortho Bug B Gon to keep ticks off of your property. I use it on my lawn, and it works very well. Each application keeps ticks away for 3 months and it is simple to apply. If you are interested in buying Ortho Bug B Gon, click on the image below.
* I am not a medical professional. If you feel you might be at risk of contracting Lyme disease, contact a medical professional right away!